Eco Dive Center and Heal the Bay are hosting another awesome underwater cleanup dive on Coastal Cleanup Day.
All you have to do is call & get yourself on the roster and you'll be diving the Santa Monica Pier for a good cause!
Some of the more unusual items found underwater in recent years have been a prom dress, voodoo dolls, a briefcase full of crackers, guns, switchblades and a bridal gown. Make sure to show up early for the detailed breifing by Santa Monica Harbor Patrol of underwater hazards.
History: Coastal Cleanup Day (CCD) began in 1985 and has grown into a huge annual event. Every state with a coastline participates, including the Great Lakes states. The one-day cleanup is an international event and last count, over 50 nations participated, it may be one of the largest volunteer days on the planet.
Host: Eco Dive Center, LA County Dept of Beaches/Harbors and Heal The Bay all work together to coordinate the Santa Monica Pier Coastal Cleanup Dive Day.
Participants: Over 15,000 volunteers in L.A. County over 40 sites along Southern Cali's waterways. Coastal Cleanup Day involves individuals, schools, community and volunteer dive groups.
Cause: By filling out the trash "data cards" during/after the underwater cleanup, volunteers are helping to identify and stop polluters in the future.
How? Call 310 398 5759 to get placed on the dive roster (Harbor Master Requires it).
When you call we'll need your name, diver level, emergency contact, email & phone number for text instructions.
Day of Event:
1. Show up at 8am, 1 hr early to avoid parking issues, to build gear and listen to 3 briefings by divemaster, Heal the Bay & Harbor Master.
2. Strict entry & exit points with issued ID tags, so listen to the info.
3. Rescue divers will be in surf zone, swimming along surface with LA rescue boat nearby and lookouts on pier with communications.
4. Sick around for news channels & HELP document trash for researchers.
5. Local News channel crews usually film event so smile for the camera.
6. Stick around for large group photo for local newspaper & Heal the Bay international newsletter.
1. Bring this signed waiver with your cert card PRINT REQUIRED WAIVER
2. Have your buddy double check your gear & make sure your tag is attached to your BCD d-ring.
3. Listen to the friendly rescue divers upon entry, they'll have great ideas to help you swim past the surfzone and come back safe.